10 Things I Know to Be True: By Matt Rettick
Matt Rettick is our featured 10 Things columnist this month! Matt is well-known in the financial services industry as a forward-thinking businessperson, having worked in the insurance and financial advising industry for over 20 years. You may know him as the founder and host of Check and Balances TV on YouTube or through his work on Checks and Balances Financial Radio. Matt is an inspirational mentor and friend. We value him because he is an advocate for the consumer and for independent financial advisors.
10 Things I Know To Be True:
1) Your wealth is in your time, not your money.
2) On my tombstone I want it to read: “He looked for the best in others and gave the best he had!”
3) Reality is not what you wish it to be, reality is what it really is.
4) We all know that life is not fair. What makes it fair is that it is not fair to everyone.
5) The fastest way to double your money – is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
6) Delayed gratification is never fun, until you arrive in the future.
7) We all hate to pay for any kind of insurance, until we need it.
8) Owe no man anything but to love him (Romans 13:8). This is the surest way to have peace of mind.
9) The time spent with your child is not a distraction from the main event; the time spent with your child is the main event.
10) You have two choices in life… you can carry the pain of discipline which weighs ounces or the pain of regret which weighs tons.
Written April 1, 2013
We recommend Matt’s newest book, All the Rules Have Changed: What You Need to Do to Dump Debt, Invest Wisely, and Succeed in the New Financial Reality, available along with his previous book, Fiscal Fitness, on Amazon.
10 Things We Know to Be True is a series of posts sharing the accumulated wisdom of our partners, peers and colleagues, as well as members of the Investment Answers team.